Librarian and group book leader Lauren John facilitates The Book Discussion Group on the last Tuesday of every month (except July) at 7:00 pm at the Menlo Park Public Library. She notes on a post on Red Room: “We read fiction, nonfiction and biographies and try to pick titles that are easy to get at the library or the local bookstore. Sometimes we have guest speakers, sometimes the author shows up, and there’s always a great snack.”
She just released the book selection for January through June, 2010. First up, to be discussed on Tuesday, January 26 is The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. Yes, it’s long at 512 pages, but like the first of the Swedish author’s Millennium Trilogy, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, it’s an intriguing psychological thriller – and a real page turner.
The remaining titles through June are (fuller descriptions on Red Room):
- Tuesday, February 22: Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Stout
- Tuesday, March 30: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Tuesday, April 20: City of Thieves by David Benioff
- Tuesday, May 25: My Life in France by Julia Child
- Tuesday, June 29: Superfreakonomics: Global cooling, patriotic prostitutes and why suicide bombers should be life insurance by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J Dubner