Old Tom takes part in Menlo’s Easter festivities

by Linda Hubbard Gulker on April 3, 2010

Old Tom, Menlo Park's vintage fire engine

The line was almost as long for taking a ride on Old Tom, the Menlo Park Fire Protection District’s vintage engine, as it was to get your picture taken with the Easter Bunny at the morning’s city-sponsored Easter festivities. According to the MPFPD website: “Old Tom was built in 1935 by the Seagrave Corporation. The original owner of this now historical antique fire engine was the Sausalito Fire Department.  For 20+ years this pumper served the town of Sausalito and included the Golden Gate Bridge which was constructed in 1937.

“It is believed that sometime in the late 1960’s a private citizen from Woodside purchased the retired Seagrave for an unknown amount of money.  In the mid 1970’s ownership changed hands once again and for $1.00 the Menlo Park Fireman’s Association purchased the 1935 Seagrave.  The name “Old Tom” was chosen and named after one of Menlo’s finest, Chief Thomas Cuff.”

Photo by Chris Gulker

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: