The City of Menlo Park’s Environmental Quality Commission is now accepting applications from community members for the 2014 Environmental Quality Awards. Awards are given to people, projects, efforts or property designs that contribute to environmental quality improvement in Menlo Park.
Last year’s award recipients included:
- Hillview Middle School for incorporating the use of sustainable building materials in campus facilities
- Facebook for greenhouse gas reduction initiatives such as energy-saving retrofits, recycled building materials, and their award-winning transportation demand management program.
- Menlo Business Park for the integration of advanced lighting retrofits, rooftop solar photovoltaic systems, and their sustainable and organic food café
- Carolyn Dorsch for her work in educating the public about the benefits of composting
- Pacific Biosciences for their reduction of waste through the implementation of an aggressive recycling and composting program
The application form can be downloaded from the City’s Environmental Quality Commission webpage and are due Monday, January 20, 2014. Electronic application submissions are encouraged. However, hard copy applications can be requested by contacting the Environmental Programs Department at (650) 330-6720.
The application form includes detailed descriptions of each award category and past awardees’ information. Award categories include: Climate Action, Educational, Heritage Tree, Landscape or Native Habitat, Resource Conservation, Sustainable Building, and Sustainable Lifestyle. Award recipients will be recognized at a City Council meeting in April 2014.
For questions, or to request a paper application, please contact the Environmental Programs Department at (650) 330-6720 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 EQC award winner Carolyn Dorsch photographed by Irene Searles in April, 2013