A Morning at Filoli

by Scott Loftesness on March 2, 2014

Post image for A Morning at Filoli

I enjoy heading out for photography after the rains finish while there are still interesting clouds in the sky. Those clouds make for soft light – and, when partly cloudy, a mix of light and shadows. Saturday morning provided such an opportunity – and I headed for Filoli to see what I could find.

I brought along my Fujifilm X-E2, one of the new breed of smaller “mirrorless” cameras that I’ve really been enjoying. It has a unique APS-C sized sensor that, in conjunction with Fuji’s focus on colors, provide some very pretty images. One of my favorite lenses for this kind of outdoor work with the X-E2 is the 14mm f/2.8 lens. It’s the equivalent of a 21mm lens on a standard DSLR – and captures a wide angle of view.

Below are some of the images from my morning walk at Filoli. The last one, of the olive trees outside the Visitor Center, evoked a moody sun/shadow feeling – so I processed it that way in black and white with a bit of platinum toning to enhance the moodiness. A few more images from Filoli are in this set of mine on Flickr.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Dona Thornwall March 2, 2014 at 9:33 am

Absolutely stunning!

Irene March 2, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Scott, loving the rain and your photos inspired by this needed weather. Beautiful!! Thanks for the post.

Scott Loftesness March 2, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Dona and Irene, thanks! It was a beautiful morning at Filoli.

Robin March 2, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Great shots, Scott! I love them all….wish I could go with you sometime and see the world thru your eyes :)

Christina March 3, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hi Scott,
Thank you for sharing your stunning shots and letting folks know about Filoli. The Garden is changing almost every day. Flowering cherry trees should be blooming in about 2 weeks, is our guess. Hard to tell with this weather and drought.

Sheralee March 5, 2014 at 5:39 am

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos of Filoli.
Remembering taking dearest family there, walking together, viewing the pretty tulips and other flowers! And hearing the docent tours’ lectures:
Fi-fight, lo-love, li-live~the abbreviation for FILOLI.