USGS research geophysicist Justin Rubinstein will give the next USGS evening lecture on Thursday, Aug. 27 at 7:00 pm at Rambo Auditorium at USGS in Menlo Park.
His topic is Yes, Humans Really Are Causing Earthquakes. He will cover:
- The earthquake rate has dramatically increased in the central US in the last 6 years.
- Oklahoma had more M≥3 earthquakes in 2014 than California.
- This increase is due to earthquake activity induced by oil and gas operations.
- Most earthquakes are not caused by hydraulic fracturing.
- We may be able to control these earthquakes.
The lectures are free and open to the public.