For Atherton resident Louis Matas, the milestone birthdays just keep coming, as do the annual celebrations at Harry’s Hofbrau in Redwood City where he was last night celebrating turning 103-years-old with family and friends.
Along for the festivities was granddaughter Patricia (pictured top), the Mayor of Atherton and the head of the Carpenter’s Local Union #217, as well as with the Golden Tones singers and the Los Trancos Woods Community Marching Band (pictured below).
Longtime friend Doug Anderson provided InMenlo with some background facts about Louis:
- He moved to the peninsula 75 years ago and has lived on Maple Avenue in Atherton for 46 years.
- He lives alone and takes care of his garden and the numerous fruit trees on his property.
- In October, his drivers license was renewed until he is 107.
- He owns a 1929 Model ‘A’ and is a member of two car clubs.
- He marches in the Los Trancos Woods Community Marching Band.
- He is a member of the Golden Tones, a performing chorus in San Mateo.
- He is the oldest and the ‘longest’ member of the Carpenter’s Union, Local 217 of San Mateo County.
- On his 93rd birthday, the Atherton Mayor proclaimed him the “Mayor of Atherton Avenue.”
Photos by Robb Most (c) 2017