Menlo Park Historical Assoc.

When Menlo Park Historical Association Board Member Martha Lancastremere traveled recently to Las Cruces, New Mexico, she visited the New Mexico Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum where  quilts from the early 1800s were on display. She remembered that MPHA was in possession of  the Menlo Quilt, created in 1894 and described in a story written by Richard “Dick” Houston Barbour when he served as MPHA president (1980-82) shortly before his passing in 1984.

The quilt is presently displayed at the Menlo Park Library (800 Alma Street), in the downstairs display cabinet near the entrance to the MPHA office, along with a list of the names adorning it.

Of particular note is a square honoring four outstanding figures in the Menlo Park area’s history, all living in 1894 when the quilt was made for the Church of the Nativity. Flood and Doyle were undoubtedly Catholic. Felton attended Episcopal services as did Stanford, once Holy Trinity Church was established. Likely, Hopkins was also an Episcopalian. Perhaps, the four sponsored the quilt or made a donation in some manner, for which the quilt square honors them.

Upper left: James L. (Leary) Flood, 1857-1926, son of James Clair Flood, the Comstock Lode owner who built the ornate Linden Towers mansion on his estate off Middlefield Road, which James L. inherited,

Upper right: Timothy Hopkins, 1859-1936, the adopted son of the widow of Mark Hopkins,  and the inheritor of the estate where the Menlo Park Civic Center now sits. Working in conjunction as railroad treasurer with Senator Leland Stanford, Hopkins bought and mapped out what is the original boundaries of Palo Alto.

Lower right: John T. (Thomas) Doyle, 1819-1906, a highly regarded attorney, who owned the Ringwood estate on the east side of Middlefield Road, next to the Flood estate.

Lower left: C. N. (Charles Norton) Felton, 1832-1914, Republican Senator from California, who served in the Senate alongside Stanford. He named his mansion Felton Gables, later used for the subdivision’s name.

Lydia Cooper recovered the following story that Dick Barbour authored on February 3, 1981, entitled The Menlo Quilt:

“This is the season when chilly nights, and white sales turn our attention to comfortable bedding. What better time, then, to mention one of the more unique items in the archives of the Menlo Park Historical Association – the Menlo Quilt.

“A sure-fire way to raise funds for a charitable cause or church project during our town’s youthful years was the making of what might be described as a co-op quilt. This was somewhat before fashion teas and Tally-Hos, but was, nonetheless, so popular that many would-be donors could not be included.

“The Menlo Quilt is a priceless example, and, so far as is know, the only survivor of this remarkable community craft. It was produced by the dedicated ladies of the Church of the Nativity in 1894 and had a double-barreled technique for fund raising.

“First, the ladies purchased small triangular pieces of material for the privilege of having their names included in the finished product. Some purchased additional spaces for husbands and others in the immediate family. Names were then stitched in sturdy red thread along the lines of penciled signatures to form embroidered autographs. The next step was to sew four of the individual angular pieces together to form a square. Finally, 80 squares were assembled into the finished quilt measuring 5 feet 4 inches by 7 feet in length. The border and trimming is also stitching on white.

“Thus, 320 individual name spaces were sold and sewn on a first-come, first-served basis, and it is said that at the opening of the sale there was a stampede of buyers. Many of the more prominent families of the 1890s are represented and 24 of them occupy all four corners of a given square.

“Leading the list of names is Doyle which probably includes the families of both the Southern Pacific attorney and relatives of the co-owner of the town’s leading mercantile establishment. The latter’s partner, Duff, is one of the next largest family representations. Other well-remembered family names include the Cooleys, the O’Keefes, the Taylors, and the hotel-owning Kucks as well as several dozen more.

“The other fund-raising aspect of the quilt undertaking was the raffle to determine final owner, and it can be imagined that husbands of the good ladies who had purchased name spaces were loaded with raffle tickets, thereby assuring a tidy income for a Church of the Nativity project.

“The lucky winner, announced at a church bazaar, was Mollie Doyle who cherished it during her lifetime. In 1974 during our Centennial observance, her children presented the quilt to the Historical Association ‘in memory of one of Menlo Park’s most lovable ladies – Mollie Doyle Flinn.’”

Photos by Robb Most (c) 2020

{ Be the first to comment }

Bo Crane leads MPHA tour of Holy Cross Cemetery on October 12

This year the Menlo Park Historical Association (MPHA) annually sponsored tour of Holy Cross Cemetery will be led by MPHA secretary, Bo Crane (pictured), on Saturday, October 12, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 pm. The Cemetery is at 1100 Santa Cruz Avenue in Menlo Park, located at the street’s bend. Limited parking for this event […]

Click to read more →

Menlo Park Historical Association hosts walking tour featuring oldest structures on Aug. 3

On Saturday, Aug. 3, the Menlo Park Historical Association is hosting a walk that will cover the oldest structures in Menlo Park: the Railroad Depot built in 1867, the Timothy Hopkins Gatehouse built in 1864 and the Edgar Mills Bright Eagle mansion built in 1869. The mile-and-a-half tour will also include “Religious Row” with the […]

Click to read more →

Long time Menlo Park resident Jym Clendenin celebrates milestone birthday

If you are regularly out and about in Menlo Park, you’re likely to have crossed paths with long time Menlo Park resident — and InMenlo contributor — Jym Clendenin. That’s because he’s a perpetual motion machine, whether it be walking, running, hiking or cycling. Today the retired SLAC physicist is celebrating his 80th birthday. His […]

Click to read more →

Menlo Gates officially dedicated, fittingly on St. Patrick’s Day

The reproduction of the historical Menlo Gates near the library was officially dedicated this afternoon, recalling Menlo Park’s Irish roots. The construction of the Gates was a project of the Menlo Park Historical Association (MPHA) and members Jim Lewis (bottom photo) and Jym Clendenin (pictured speaking) made brief remarks today along with Mayor Ray Mueller […]

Click to read more →

Menlo Gates ribbon cutting ceremony to take place on St. Patrick’s Day

A ribbon-cutting ceremony honoring the completion of a wooden arched gateway that replicates what had stood alongside what is now El Camino Real from 1855-1922, will be held Sunday, March 17, at 2:00 pm at the Menlo Park Main Library. The tall main arch had the name MENLO PARK painted across the top by the […]

Click to read more →

Menlo Gates starting to take shape near Menlo Park Library, but additional funds are needed

The Menlo Gates project, long in the planning and fund raising, has finally begun construction, though funding is remains short $15,000 of the final goal. Construction is proceeding. The steel cross beams have been placed and the redwood covering comes next, weather and holiday permitting. By the end of the month, some or all of the […]

Click to read more →

Donation drive to construct new Menlo Gates continues

The several year effort to collect funds to reproduce the Menlo Gates (originally constructed 1852-4) that gave Menlo Park its name is rapidly coming to a conclusion. The Menlo Park Historical Association  now has an agreement with the City of Menlo Park to donate $43,000 in a matching fund a contract with Sinnott & Co. […]

Click to read more →

Menlo Park Historical Association commemorates end of World War I and the beginning of Fremont Park

Locals, including veterans (pictured top), gathered at Fremont Park today to commemorate the end of World War I 100 years ago today — and the 80th anniversary of the Park itself. At the event, organized by the Menlo Park Historical Association, Bo Crane (pictured right) talked about how 20 years after the Armistice on Nov. 11, […]

Click to read more →

Menlo Park Historical Association walking tour takes you back 100 years

On August 4, 2018, the Menlo Park Historical Association is conducting its annual Victorian Days Walking Tour, sponsored by the San Mateo County Historical Association. The Menlo Park tour is free, as are other tours, and no reservation is required — you just show up at MacArthur Park, 27 University Avenue, Palo Alto, near the […]

Click to read more →

Learn how local streets got their names on July 2

Join Bo Crane, author of the book The Streets of Menlo Park, as he shares information about the origins and namesakes of our local streets.  Discover the fascinating stories and biographies associated with the names — how the streets were named, and who lived on them. Bo’s talk takes place on July 2 at 7:00 […]

Click to read more →