Tips for a greener Menlo Park holiday season
There are ways to reduce air and water pollution without cutting back on the holiday spirit. Here are some tips from the San Mateo Countywide Water Pollution Prevention Program (SMCWPPP).
- Use reusable ornaments or natural items to decorate your Holiday Trees. A few ideas are popcorn and pine cones. Try to avoid flock and tinsel.
- If purchasing a live tree, find a great place to plant it in your yard or keep it in a planter so you can use it year after year.
- Get creative with gift wrap alternatives. Place a gift with in a gift, or in a reusable shopping or tote bag instead of paper. Or, go old school and use newspaper comics to make gifts more fun and the wrapping recyclable.
- If you must use gift wrap, avoid foil-based papers. Make sure to recycle used gift wrap — don’t burn it!
- Check before you burn wood! Call 1-877-4-NO-BURN to find out if a Spare the Alert is in effect.