Nominations for first Poet Laureate of San Mateo County open June 8
Saturday, June 8, will mark the opening of the nomination period for all poets interested in becoming San Mateo County’s first Poet Laureate, or for those interested in nominating a poet for the honorary post.
The San Mateo County Board of Supervisors created the honorary post of Poet Laureate at their April 23rd meeting. The selected Poet Laureate’s role will be to elevate poetry among San Mateo County residents and to celebrate the literary arts. The nomination deadline is July 31, 2013 at 5:00 pm.
Eligibility criteria for the San Mateo County Poet Laureate includes:
- The Poet Laureate must be 18 years or older.
- The Poet Laureate will be available to serve a two-year term, commencing in October 2013.
- The Poet Laureate will be a San Mateo County resident of at least three years who has been published or recognized for poetry and literary contributions. The number and quality of published works will be taken into account in our selection process.
- The Poet Laureate will have demonstrated a commitment to and passion for poetry and embraces the opportunity to engage in community service to make poetry more accessible and available
- The Poet Laureate must have a willingness to serve as an ambassador for San Mateo County and to engage the citizens of San Mateo County in poetry at public events through public readings, workshops, visiting schools and other means.
- The Poet Laureate must be available to travel throughout San Mateo County.
Responsibilities of the San Mateo County Poet Laureate include:
- The Poet Laureate will represent San Mateo County and the art of poetry though outreach activities related to poetry.
- The Poet Laureate will present appropriate works at a minimum of four selected County-sponsored events during the year, including events involving schools and youth
- The Poet Laureate will write a commemorative poem about San Mateo County or its environs.
- The Poet Laureate will open the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors meetings with a poem every quarter.
Nomination forms and guidelines will be available on June 8th online at http://www.sanmateocountypoet.org, as well as at local libraries and at the County Government Center. For more information, please contact Marci Dragun at email@example.com or (650) 599-1021. Applications should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Paper submissions can be sent to: San Mateo County Poet Laureate, Supervisor Warren Slocum, Board of Supervisors, 400 County Center, Redwood City, CA 94063.