Ravenswood Education Foundation recruiting participants for Adopt-a-Teacher program
Every child deserves a quality education. You can help make this happen by getting involved with our neighboring school district, Ravenswood. The Adopt-a-Teacher program is a wonderful volunteer opportunity for families, friends, small groups and neighbors to work together to provide much needed encouragement and school supplies to a K-8 teacher in East Menlo Park/Palo Alto schools. Over the course of the nine-month school year, volunteer teams typically spend approximately one hour a month and $500-$600 in school supplies for their adopted teacher’s class.
1. Attend the Adopt-a-Teacher kick off event on 9/17/13
· September 17, 2013 from 7:00 – 8:00 pm at MPPC Cafe (located behind Ace Hardware in downtown Menlo Park)
· Learn more about this program, hear great stories, ask questions
2. Set up an initial meeting with your teacher (preferably in person)
· Meet the teacher that you will be supporting
· If you (or any member of your volunteer group) cannot meet your teacher in person, set up a time to talk with your teacher over the phone
3. Communicate with your adopted teacher on a regular basis
· Find out what supplies your teacher needs
· Find out which two class parties you can help support
· Ask if your “adopted” class has any fun/school events that you could attend (class play, school assembly, etc…)
· Email/call/write your teacher regularly – “just checking in”, “thinking of you”, “thankful to have you teaching children in our community”
4. Spend $500-$600 as a volunteer group in class supplies/party supplies over the program period (mid-September through mid-June)
Estimated financial commitment breakdown: Supply Kit #1 delivered in the Fall $175-$215; Supply Kit #2 delivered in the Spring $175-$215; Party #1 (date TBD by volunteer & teacher) $55-$75; Party #2 (date TBD by volunteer & teacher) $55-$75; Other* (something nice for your teacher) $25-$50 – plant, flowers, coffee card, notes, emails, et
5. Deliver supplies and support parties when expected.
Ready to sign up? Have more questions? Contact the Adopt-a-Teacher coordinators: Jennifer Vettel (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jeanne Simonian (email@example.com).