New pump track opens at Flood Park in Menlo Park
On Saturday, October 21, the new pump track opened at Flood Park in Menlo Park. The paved circuit of rollers and banked turns provides a new recreational opportunity for those on bicycles, skateboards, and scooters, who can ride the track solely by “pumping”— generating momentum by up and down body movements—instead of pedaling or pushing.
Visitors who are coming to Flood Park specifically to use the pump track to park near the fields for easy access. The Park is located at 215 Bay Road.
Flood Pump Track Rules
- Helmets are required; knee and elbow pads are recommended
- Children 8 years and under must be supervised by an adult
- Bicycles, skateboards, and scooters are allowed
- Pay attention while you are riding, wait your turn, watch for other riders, and call out when passing
- If you’re not riding or skating, stay off the track
- Keep food and drink containers outside of the track
- Don’t alter track features or add ramps, rails, or cones
Using the pump track is a “Hazardous Recreational Activity” per California Government Code 831.7
City Council member Drew Combs emailed some opening day photos.