How humans are causing earthquakes is topic of USGS evening lecture on Aug. 27
USGS research geophysicist Justin Rubinstein will give the next USGS evening lecture on Thursday, Aug. 27 at 7:00 pm at Rambo Auditorium at USGS in Menlo Park.
His topic is Yes, Humans Really Are Causing Earthquakes. He will cover:
- The earthquake rate has dramatically increased in the central US in the last 6 years.
- Oklahoma had more M≥3 earthquakes in 2014 than California.
- This increase is due to earthquake activity induced by oil and gas operations.
- Most earthquakes are not caused by hydraulic fracturing.
- We may be able to control these earthquakes.
The lectures are free and open to the public.