A Morning at Filoli

by Scott Loftesness on March 2, 2014

I enjoy heading out for photography after the rains finish while there are still interesting clouds in the sky. Those clouds make for soft light – and, when partly cloudy, a mix of light and shadows. Saturday morning provided such an opportunity – and I headed for Filoli to see what I could find.

I brought along my Fujifilm X-E2, one of the new breed of smaller “mirrorless” cameras that I’ve really been enjoying. It has a unique APS-C sized sensor that, in conjunction with Fuji’s focus on colors, provide some very pretty images. One of my favorite lenses for this kind of outdoor work with the X-E2 is the 14mm f/2.8 lens. It’s the equivalent of a 21mm lens on a standard DSLR – and captures a wide angle of view.

Below are some of the images from my morning walk at Filoli. The last one, of the olive trees outside the Visitor Center, evoked a moody sun/shadow feeling – so I processed it that way in black and white with a bit of platinum toning to enhance the moodiness. A few more images from Filoli are in this set of mine on Flickr.

12865234973_0557fb5763_b

12865028223_783cd108e7_b

12870767205_74b8c7e197_b

12865560893_02a7d867cb_b

6 Comments

Dona Thornwall March 02, 2014 at 9:33 am

Absolutely stunning!

Irene March 02, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Scott, loving the rain and your photos inspired by this needed weather. Beautiful!! Thanks for the post.

Scott Loftesness March 02, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Dona and Irene, thanks! It was a beautiful morning at Filoli.

Best,
Scott

Robin March 02, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Great shots, Scott! I love them all….wish I could go with you sometime and see the world thru your eyes 🙂

Christina March 03, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Hi Scott,
Thank you for sharing your stunning shots and letting folks know about Filoli. The Garden is changing almost every day. Flowering cherry trees should be blooming in about 2 weeks, is our guess. Hard to tell with this weather and drought.

Sheralee March 05, 2014 at 5:39 am

Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos of Filoli.
Remembering taking dearest family there, walking together, viewing the pretty tulips and other flowers! And hearing the docent tours’ lectures:
Fi-fight, lo-love, li-live~the abbreviation for FILOLI.

Comments are closed.

Events
HELP SUPPORT INMENLO!

Please help support InMenlo! Your contribution will help us continue to bring InMenlo to you. Click on the button below to contribute!

LuLus Taco Dilla