Beltramo’s will close doors, property to be sold
As reported by Barbara Woods on Almanac Online today, Beltramo’s, one of the few remaining Menlo Park landmark businesses, will be closing its doors and selling the property, which commenters suggest is worth more than the business itself. The owners are retiring.
According to the book about Menlo Park, Beyond the Gate, the first Beltramo’s opened in 1890 on Ringwood Avenue between Middlefield and Bay, moving to Glenwood in 1904.
As most baby boomers who grew up in Menlo Park and Atherton in the 50s, 60s and 70s know, the present Beltramo’s is located almost exactly 1 and 1/2 miles from Stanford, necessary as it was illegal to sell alcohol any closer to the university, a restriction that was lifted in 1979.
We’ve enjoyed stopping in at the store over the years and getting wine seller extraordinaire Gary Mulleneaux’s picks for various holiday: Thanksgiving and Valentine’s Day, to cite a couple. We plan to get some final picks from him before the store closes.